What information do we collect about you?
We collect information about site visitors and members in different ways.
Information You Provide
We may ask you for some or all of the following types of information when you register with our site, access various content or features, register for contests or sweepstakes, submit comments and other content, order products, apply for a job, or directly contact us with questions or feedback.
- Display name, username and email address,
- Stories, comments, and photos shared in our forums or through commenting systems,
- Communication preferences,
- Search queries,
- Payment information, such as credit card number and expiration date,
- Personal details required for identity and job verification when applying for a job,
- Correspondence and other information that you send to us
The information you provide may include Personal Information. Please be aware, that by posting information to forums or social networking facilities available via our site, you will be making this information available to the public. You should be careful about revealing any sensitive details about yourself.
Information Automatically Collected
We also may collect certain information automatically when you visit the site (“Usage Information”), including:
- Device Information, including but not limited to unique device identifiers, screens resolutions, browser types, browser language and operating systems,
- IP addresses, which is the number assigned to an Internet connected device such as a tablet or smartphone,
- Geolocation information, including but not limited to your Internet provider or host,
- Sites you visited before visiting our site,
- Pages you view and links you click on within our site,
- Information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other technologies,
- Information about your interactions with e-mail messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded,
- Local storage information (including personal information), collected from and stored locally on your device, using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5), which allows for data to be stored on a browser even after the browser has been closed and the reopened, and application data caches, which allow for data to be stored on your device, enabling an application to run without an Internet connection and to load content faster.
Other than username, email addresses, and IP addresses provided at your discretion, we don’t generally collect any other forms of “personally identifying information”. We do not buy or otherwise receive data about you from data brokers.
How do we collect data about you?
We collect data when you use or browse the site, whether you use the site using a web browser on your own computer, tablet or mobile devices. We Use IP Addresses, Cookies, Web Beacons and Other Technologies to automatically collect usage information
Your Web browser or email application automatically provides your Internet Protocol address (“IP address”) to other computers with which you communicate over the Internet, so that they know where to send you information.
We receive an IP address each time you view one of our Web pages, because the browser automatically reports it to us. We also may store the IP address when you register with us, post a message, or buy something from us.
We may use IP addresses for various purposes, including:
- Diagnosing service or technology problems.
- Assessing and maintaining system security.
- Displaying the most appropriate advertising or content.
- Studying how people use our site and how we can improve it.
- Reporting to advertisers about aggregate, but not individual, information derived from IP addresses.
You are always free to decline our cookies if you wish and if your browser permits, however please know that doing so may interfere with the proper functioning of certain parts of our site.
Some of our third party advertising partners may distribute cookies to users of our site or in advertisements that are provided to us. We have no access to or control over these cookies from third parties. These advertisers may be engaging in online behavioral advertising as defined by the Digital Advertising Alliance and FTC.
We use web beacons (invisible images often referred to as pixel tags or clear GIFs) on our site in order to recognize users, assess traffic patterns, identify preferred content and measure site engagement. We also include web beacons in our email messages, including newsletters, in order to count how many email messages have been opened.
We also use reputable third parties to collect information, through the use of web beacons, browser cookies and other tracking technologies. We may collect various data provided by your browser while you are on our site via web beacons. This data is collected in the aggregate, but may include or be associated with other non-personal information or personal information that users have voluntarily submitted.
An embedded script is programming code designed to collect information about your interactions with the Services. It is temporarily downloaded onto your device from our web server or a third party with whom we work, is active only while you are connected to the Services, and deleted or deactivated thereafter.
You can log in to our site using a Single Sign-on (SSO) service like your Google or Facebook account. This service will authenticate your identity and provide you the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form. Such services may give you the option to post information about your activities on this site to your profile page to share with others within your network.
Other Technologies are technologies that store information in your browser or device utilizing local shared objects or local storage, such as flash cookies, HTML cookies, and other web application software methods. These technologies can operate across all of your browsers, and in some instances may not be fully managed by your browser and may require management directly through your installed applications or device
How do we use your personal information?
We collect personal information to provide you, the user, with the best and most personalized experience possible, and to provide our advertisers with an efficient way to reach the right audience. In short, by knowing a little about you, we can deliver more relevant content and advertisements to you.
Our uses of your personal can fall into the following general categories:
- Advertising or Targeting-Related. We may use first-party or third-party cookies and web beacons to deliver content, including ads relevant to your interests, on our site or on third party sites. This includes using technologies to understand the usefulness to you of the advertisements and content that has been delivered to you, such as whether you have clicked on an advertisement.
More specific purposes for our use of your personal information include:
- Contacting you with surveys, legal notices, and other information that may be relevant to your use of our site,
- Maintaining or administering our site, performing business analyses, or for other internal purposes to improve the quality of our business, the site, and other products and services we offer,
- Publishing stories, comments, and other information posted in our interactive online features,
- Processing employment applications and inquiries,
- Creating articles and other content,
- Conduct research on our users’ demographics, interests, and behavior based upon the information you provide us when you register, use the site, or participate in contests or other promotions on our site, or based upon the information on our server log files. This research is compiled and analyzed on an aggregated basis and cannot individually identify you.
Use of these technologies by authorized third-party service providers
We may work with third-party companies, commonly known as service providers, who are authorized to place third-party cookies, web beacons, or similar technologies for storing information on our site or in our services, applications, and tools with our permission. These service providers help us to provide you with a better, faster, and safer experience.
With the exception of the use of such technologies by our service providers or other authorized third parties, we do not permit any third-party content on our site to include or utilize any cookies, web beacons, local storage, or similar technologies for tracking purposes or to collect your personal information. If you believe a listing or other third-party content might be collecting personal information or using tracking technologies on our site, please report it to us.
Ad networks and exchanges operated by authorized third parties
Your Rights as a User.
You can request access, correction, updates or deletion of your personal information at any time.
We offer certain site features, services, applications, and tools that are available only through the use of these technologies. You are always free to block, delete, or disable these technologies if your browser, installed application, or device so permits. However, if you decline cookies or other similar technologies, you may not be able to take advantage of certain site features, services, applications, or tools. You may also be required to re-enter your password more frequently during your browsing session. For more information on how you can block, delete, or disable these technologies, please review your browser or device settings.
Generally, these technologies allow our site, services, applications, and tools to store relevant information in your browser or device and later read that information in order to identify you to our servers or internal systems. Where applicable, we protect our cookies and other similar technologies to help ensure that only we and/or our authorized service providers can interpret them by assigning them a unique identifier that is designed for interpretation only by us. We do not store any of your personal information on any of our cookies or other similar technologies
Your Choices and Advertising on our Site
To Unsubscribe From Our Communications
You may unsubscribe from our marketing communications by emailing us
Do we share your personal information?
We do not give, rent, lend, or sell individual information to our advertisers.
We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of our site when we have your opt-in or other consent to do so.
We may share your information publicly and with our partners such as service providers, third-party content providers, advertisers or connected sites, but in a manner which does not reveal your personally-identifiable information and which is aggregated with other user information to show usage of our website and third-party products and services offered on our site and trends based on such categories as age, gender, geographical origination and other demographic characteristics.
If you post content to our site, in on our forums or through any commenting or messaging systems, other site users will be able to see your posted content and may communicate with you. If you send communications through our site using our Forums Message feature, the recipients of your communications, and anyone they send your communication to, along with our site administrators, will be able to see your communications. If you do not want others to see your posted information or correspondence, or communicate with you, please do not post anything to or through our site.
As Required by Law
We may disclose account information where we have reason to believe that disclosing the information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be violating the law or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other site users, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities. We may disclose or access account information when we believe in good faith that the law requires it and for administrative and other purposes that we deem necessary to maintain, service, and improve our services.
Do we respect children’s privacy?
Our site is not directed at children under the age of 13. We operate our site in compliance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act and will not knowingly collect or use personally identifiable information from anyone under 13. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from a child under age 13, we will delete that information as quickly as possible. If you believe that we might have any information from or about a child under age 13, please contact us.
How do we protect your information?
We encrypt your information using SSL and require the use of VPNs and, in some instances, multi-factor authentication to gain access to company systems or service provider systems used to operate our site. We review our information collection, storage and processing practices, as well as restrict access to personal information to a limited set of company employees or service providers that are subject to the obligation of strict confidentiality as relates to that information, and who will be subject to discipline, including termination, if they violate that obligation.